Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Just like Dickens

"A Merry Christmas, Bob!” said Scrooge with an earnestness that could not be mistaken, as he clapped him on the back. “A merrier Christmas, Bob, my good fellow, than I have given you for many a year! I’ll raise your salary, and endeavour to assist your struggling family, and we will discuss your affairs this very afternoon over a bowl of smoking bishop, Bob!”
              - A Christmas Carol


What is smoking bishop?  Wassail.  What is wassail?  Mulled wine.  What is mulled wine?

What I made tonight!

Jonathan usually makes spiced cider in the crockpot.

Our crockpot this year is in storage, and I wanted something a bit more adult.

So I made two types, both with port (and without anise cuz I don't like it, but it is traditional).  Personally I liked the first a little better.


Mulled wine the first:
- half a bottle of port
- tons of honey
- half an orange, sliced
- cloves
- cinnamon sticks
- nutmeg

Stir.  Simmer.  Drink.


Mulled wine the second:
- a tiny bit of port
- tons of brown sugar
- half an orange, sliced
- cloves
- cinnamon sticks
- nutmeg

Stir.  Simmer into syrup.  Add in rest of port.  Simmer more.  Drink.

1 comment:

  1. I'm all for trying new recipes and ideas. As far as I'm concerned, this one time was enough as a vigorous experiment for mulled wine. I'm still stuck on hot eggnog with a kick.

    ReplyDelete