Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Best story ever from Intro to Judaism

I've been teaching a three-part Intro course called the Taste of Judaism.  And one man just made my day, my week, my year.  He was asking me about the meaning of putting a mezuzah on the doorpost, and why you put it slanted: 

"Why don't Jews put it straight?  Is it because they're not very handy and don't have a level?"

I explained with a barely straight face that no, it was because of the compromise of the two rabbis (as explained in the link above).  Then I talked about the scroll that went inside it.

"Oh," he said.  "I didn't know that.  The package only came with the little box, and then I thought it was instructions in Hebrew that I couldn't read, so I threw it out!"

4 comments:

  1. Now, this story is absolutely hilarious! Proves that the old story is true.......a little knowledge can be a very scary thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's another one, btw.

    http://www.myjewishlearning.com/

    ReplyDelete