Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Baruch dayan emet, blessed be the one whose ways are beyond understanding

Those are traditional words one says when one hears of a death.

Shimon Peres, 93 year old former Prime Minister of Israel, died yesterday. The world mourns him.

Of more importance to my immediate family is the death today of Blackie Orange Loving, our Kenyan sand boa.

Xander was inconsolable.  Ari asked me if I would do a funeral at home.  So I sang the first stanza to Esai Esai, we all talked about how much we loved Blackie, Xander lit a yartzheit candle and I said Kaddish.

I was impressed with Ari's poised explanation when he spoke to my mom on the phone after:  "Blackie died. He's with God."

What a week.

8 comments:

  1. I commend you for honoring with respectful importance Xander's loss of Blackie Orange, the little friend he loved and nurtured. Ari's response moves me deeply. For the children, this was a traumatic experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Xander,

    I am sorry for your loss. I know that you loved Blackie Orange and took good care of him all his life. You made him so happy when you let him crawl up your arm under your sleeve, and when you cuddled him. He had a happy life. Now you have good memories of him.
    I love you, Xander. SavtaRabba

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read this to him and he feared up. Thank you. And yeah... it was definitely traumatic for them. :(

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how tough it is to lose a beloved pet. We had several pet rat funerals over the years. We still miss them.

    ReplyDelete