Saturday, December 26, 2015

Growing pains, Star Wars, and the festival of lights

The day started off not so fun - with a doctor's appointment for Ari.  He's been complaining a lot in the evenings about pain in his legs, and waking up in the middle of the night crying.  And while I was 99% sure it was growing pains, I'm still a neurotic Jewish mother enough (and I know someone whose child was diagnosed with leukemia from those very symptoms), so we took him in.

My concern was short-lived.  It's growing pains.  His blood is "perfect," according to the doctor.  He showed us some stretching exercises to do with Ari before bed, and talked to Ari about growing so fast that the bones can't keep up.  "Some kids barely notice it, others are miserable," he said.  Since I only have one older kid to compare to, I figured, better safe than sorry!

Ari had wanted pancakes, so after we played in the day (and the older boys saw the titled movie with Jonathan), we made breakfast for dinner and had pancakes and eggs. Ironically we had finished our Bisquick and the only mix left was the kosher for Pesach Manischevitz mix... not my first choice, but add in enough milk and put enough syrup on top, and it's all good.

As it was Christmas Eve, we went out in search of neighborhoods with pretty lights, and oooh, it was fun!  Driving around, looking at the lights (we even went to a 3-mile stretch of lights with a paid entrance)... two out of three kids had conked out by the time we got home.

All in all, a reassuring and relaxing day.

2 comments:

  1. Great news that it's only growing pains with Ari. I say only but they're still painful. Thinking back though, you had them and Xander had them too. I guess it runs in the family. Calcium always helped you and Xander. Maybe it will help with Ari too.

    My weekend has been quiet and relaxing too. So needed time to rest and sleep and just do what I wanted to do around the house.

    Loving you all and I'll see you soon...only 3 more Shabbats and I'll be there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember driving through Cerritos during the Xmas season when you were little, Michal, looking at the neighborhood where everyone put up lights. We had great fun and it was beautiful. All the houses competed with each other!

    ReplyDelete