Saturday, December 12, 2015

My engineers

Jonathan bought a menorah soldering kit to build with our eldest.

It came in parts.  (Note: we didn't take pics as we went, so these are from the website.  Ours looked exactly like it though.)

Lots of parts. 


Last week, before Chanukah started, Jonathan and Xander got out the coil of metallic wire, the soldering... stuff (see how much I know about this process), and lots of other weird strange looking things.  At one point smoke was involved.




The instructions were complicated, to me.  Xander was excited because it looked like a comic book.




And this is the finished product!  It looks exactly like this.  Except currently it is in our window and not all the candles are lit.  Xander was so proud that he helped make it.





Ours is the one above, with blue lights, but here's a better shot showing its size.  


After they finished, Jonathan called everyone over to see it and asked about the various parts, to explain it to his brothers and me.  Xander pointed out the positive and negative charges, the capacitor, and other things of which I have no idea.  At age seven he knows more about electrical engineering that I do!  My dad is a mechanical engineer, in case anyone's forgotten.  It OBVIOUSLY skipped a generation!

2 comments:

  1. This is amazing! I have a question, Xander? Is this an electrical menorah? Does it have to be plugged in? Does it work on batteries? How can you light each individual candle? I can hardly believe that you succeeded in building it, it is so exciting!!! I am oh so very proud of you!!!! You and your father make a good team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This so blows me away.....I'm speechless! Does Billu check the blog? He should see it!!!

    ReplyDelete