Sunday, December 27, 2015

Interesting book

I just led a discussion for our temple book club, on a book called The Faith Club: A Muslim, A Christian, A Jew - Three Women Search for Understanding, by Ranya Idliby, Suzanne Oliver, and Priscilla Warner.

It was a wonderful book for its purpose, as it really got everyone talking.  The part that my group focused on was very much a reflection of the groups' makeup: we didn't focus on prayer, or family, or antisemitism in conversation between the Jewish and Christian women, but rather, on the interactions on Israel between the Muslim and the Jew.

The three authors were very candid and bare their souls, I admire them for writing it.  They even discuss the macro questions, such as, are they atypical examples of people of these religions?  Are they typical?  How can they believe fully in their own faith when they learn and come to respect so much about others'?

I'd recommend the book, but go into it with your eyes open, and be ready to confront your own inner prejudices and stereotypes.  Also, don't put it down just because you may not like what a person says!

(I admit, I did just that with the sequel to Outlander - the author made so many choices different than what I wanted for the characters, I got annoyed and returned it to Barnes and Noble.  But I didn't want to do that with a biography/true story!)

No comments:

Post a Comment