Saturday, July 23, 2016

Camp Coleman

I was privileged this past week to spent time at Camp Coleman, the local URJ camp located in the gorgeous mountains of Georgia.  It's 30 miles from North Carolina, known for its beauty and hiking trails.  I'm used to Camp Newman in CA, with its hills and shrubbery... this was so very different.  The scenery was gorgeous, the ability to bond with the kids from my temple was incredible, and most of all, it got me so excited about the future of Judaism.  These kids have ruach, spirit!


One of the girls' cabins.





Campers canoe-ing on the lake





Campers playing Jedi battling pool noodles on the ropes course




Me gearing up to go on the rock wall.  I got up about halfway.  This section of camp is called Etgar, "Challenge," and as I'm afraid of heights, I challenged myself.  Apparently only one rabbi had gone up beforehand the whole summer!




Reconnecting with my friend and colleague Matt Cohen, the first person I ever met in rabbinical school, who lives in North Florida.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful camp and what a brave rabbi! Proud of you. I wouldn't have done it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you live in the city, going away to camp in those gorgeous natural surroundings is a brand new experience, like living a whole different and exciting life.

    ReplyDelete