Wednesday, July 20, 2016

So so long ago... Jonathan and I went to New York

What a difference two weeks make!  Jonathan and I went with half of the Confirmation class to New York City.  The itinerary included: eating at Katz’s Deli, walking tour of Borough Park (largest ultra-Orthodox area outside of Israel), wandering Broadway and Times Square, meeting a 5th year rabbinical student for lunch at Chelsea Market, Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty, Friday night services at Central Synagogue, Tenement Museum, Eldridge St. Synagogue and Temple Emanuel, 9/11 Memorial and Museum, Chinatown, and more!  We traveled via foot, taxi, subway, and Uber to get the whole experience.

I won't post all or even most of the pictures, because they had the teens in them, but below are a small sample.


Luggage on the way there. Thanks to Mom for the loan of the carry-on and Carrie for the tag, which says in true Star Wars fashion, "Not the bag you are looking for"



Biggest chocolate bar ever in Hershey's store in Times Square



Lady Liberty




Our family name on the Ellis Island wall!  My grandmother is a Boltax, and her father Morris brought the family over from Russia.  "The Boltax Family" are his mother (my great-great-grandmother), his brother Lazar, and Lazar's wife and child. 




Egg Cream at Katz's Deli.



Central Synagogue's main sanctuary.  The service is what I aspire to.  Inspirational speaking, incredible music.  They're the flagship of the Reform movement in so many ways.





Walking into a true Chinese restaurant in Chinatown




Eldridge St. Synagogue, the first and oldest synagogue built by and for Lower East Side immigrants in 1887.





Starbucks all lit up on Broadway.


Obviously playing tourist




Waffle cart in Central Park.




And my personal favorite photo: a teen was teaching me about social media.  Caption: "Rabbi Loving is loving Snapchat"  :)

3 comments:

  1. According to these pictures, you conquered New York and tied it up in a blue ribbon. What a variety of taste treats: An egg cream at Katz's Deli; Waffles in Central Park; a Chinese restaurant that greets you with the basic ingredient one step away from alive; and a chocolate bar whose heft requires two arms!

    I was moved by the contrast of the simple grandeur of the Central Synagogue and the embellishments of the ancient synagogue.

    I was deeply moved to see our family's name on the Wall at Ellis Island. It was in 1923 that my father brought over my Bubby Gitel and my Uncle Lazar and Aunt Bronna with my beloved cousin Fay who was only a few months old. America did not welcome immigrants more warmly then than they do now. Nevertheless, every immigrant felt embraced by Lady Liberty.

    May all tourists be as successful as you two were in feeling the pulse of the City that Never Sleeps -- New York.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I neglected to mention that our family's name recorded on the Ellis Island Wall of Immigrants is: THE BOLTAX FAMILY.

      Yes, my maiden name was Boltax, Lillian Boltax.

      Delete
  2. That snapchat pic needs to be your profile pic... just 'sayin. :-)

    ReplyDelete