Friday, December 16, 2016

Partying to the max

One night after dinner last week, we were cleaning up and someone said, "Let's get this party started!" - referencing a Pink song that they know from the movie Cats and Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore.  Jonathan and I, of course, know the song from... well, being alive when the album was released.

We have the Amazon Echo, a really cool device which, among other things, plays music per request, so as I started the dishwasher I asked it to play "Let's Get This Party Started."

And hence began the dance party in the living room.

I became official DJ, shouting orders to the Echo in our own odd little playlist.

We danced hard to Pink and Beyonce, shook it off with Taylor Swift and heartily sang along with "Everything is Awesome" from the LEGO movie.  Somewhere around Sean Paul we segued into spinning in circles, and during the Black Eyed Peas we played catch with two alef-bet plush balls.  When the little ones started to slow down we grooved to Adele, and we transitioned into bedtime with Sarah McLachlan and Indigo Girls.

The evening ended with Jonathan and I each telling a made-up story to the kiddos.  (His was better, I admit, they always are - this time it was about dragons with diamond scales who breathed fire and ice and acid and the dragonslayers who went after them).

Lights were out by 8:30pm, and Connor only got up once after.

It was peaceful, and loving, and joyous.

I think the universe gives parents these nights every once in a while, to make up for all the others!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

  2. I am beyond astonishment to hear that you have such a wonder as Echo that delivers orchestras into your home at your bidding. Wow! The house was rockin' from the crawl space to the chimney top!!! What fun!!!

    I don't want to let go of the picture in my mind of all of you -- mom, dad, Connor, Ari and Xander whooping it up....then easing it down to sleepy time and dreamland!!!

    I am enchanted!!!

    ReplyDelete