Saturday, December 17, 2016

Still amazed by technology

When we moved from Cincinnati to Sacramento, Xander would Skype with his friend Yasha on our respective laptops.  It was still new-ish technology for everyone.

Now, we were on our way back from the park, kids strapped in their carseats, when I heard a Skype call on my phone. I answered it, from Ari's friend Elijah in Florida, and handed Ari the phone in the backseat. They spoke for 10 minutes in the car, then Ari carried the phone into the house, still chatting, for another 10.  It's second nature.  Even Connor reached for the phone, saying, "I want talk to Elijah!" and he already knows how to hold the phone and what buttons to press to switch from selfie to regular mode.

Sometimes I feel old.

2 comments:

  1. Cross-country SKYPing on cellphones!!! I am blown away!

    When I was Ari's age, telephones were still a new idea,and the ear piece hung on the side of the tall speaker pole. Phones were as rare as another new idea -- the radio.

    Do you have RING installed? If so, to whose phone is it connected? It's an incredible concept.

    I'm playing catch-up with today's new technology, and I'm still always far behind. Connor could teach me a thing or two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I installed it on both my phone and Michal's. It IS an amazing technology, but really, the technology has existed for over a decade, it's just affordable enough now to market.

    ReplyDelete